Founded in Chicago, Illinois, in 1917, by businessman Melvin Jones. Since its inception, Lions Clubs International has been dedicated to helping those less fortunate in their communities and around the world. In 1925, Helen Keller challenged the members to be "knights of the blind." "We Serve" became the association's official motto in 1954.
On November 13,1950, Herb Birum and Bill Hansen called on men in their neighborhood to discuss the Idea of a Lions Club of Titusville. The Idea was well received. At an ongoing meeting December 13,1950, the group selected the Lions Club of Hopewell Township as their official name. Two meetings later, the Charter was closed with 46 men, and, on March 3,1951, Lions Club International officially chartered our club under the sponsorship of the Lions Club of Ewing. An amendment to our Club Constitution In 1953 opened the roster to residents of Hopewell Borough. In 1984, the neighboring Pennington Lions Club relinquished their charter and ten of their members transferred to our club to continue community service. To better reflect the geographical areas and communities served by our Club, the membership voted to change the Club name to the Hopewell Valley Lions. The new name became official May 29, 1992. Also a change In the 90's, women became members and are now an active and vital component of our membership